Explore Sound by entering this ScienceWiz Portal. You will find animations that bring the ScienceWiz Sound Book and projects to life. Explore intriguing videos and links to information that will amuse, astonish, enrich and extend the content in the book and kit.
Enter the portal for the Sound Book and Kit
Ages 8 and up
48 page science book with materials
Build a working Edison Phonograph!
Build 20 different projects to explore Sound Vibrations!
- Build a working Edison style phonograph
- Record and play back your own sound recordings
- Vibrate your vocal cords and visualize your voice print
- Measure sound with a decibel meter
- Use an audiometer to test your hearing
- Hear and transmit sounds many adults cannot hear!
- Make a kazoo and a banjo
- Play a tune on water glasses
- Play the sound location game
- Transmit sounds through solids, liquids and gases
- Determine if sound waves travel through a vacuum
- Use a slinky to model sound waves
- Bounce, absorb and amplify sound waves
- Listen to your heart beat and explore how your ear works
- Discover whether fish have ears, what dogs can hear
- and how dolphins, whales and bats use sound
- Spin a sound tube to Doppler shift sound
Requires THREE "AA" batteries
Author’s Comment: This kit includes the parts for building a working Edison Phonograph.
BE SURE TO ENTER the Portal to Discovery to access the APPS, downloads and video coaching for this kit.